A second building was discovered and brought to light in 2008 South to the industrial area. This is a unique construction, consisting of two rooms arranged in a triangular area. As the nearby building it was probably destroyed by the earthquake and abandoned in 1800 BC circa. (Fig.1)
The building seems destined for cult due to the presence of an altar, flanked by a channel on two sides.The channel is made of basalt heavy pebbles and it is plastered on the sides, it served probably for the disposal of the blood of the victims and the lustral water. The latter was taken from a squared pit located on the north side of the altar itself. The religious destination is confirmed by the abundant materials found (not only ceramics), including 4 calcarenite horns of different sizes, a number of animal sacrificed bones (mainly fragments of heads of bull and rams and tens of shaped shells. The particular triangular setting of the building (temenos) seems attributable to the last episode of reconstruction of the temple, considering the ceramic chronology that goes from the Early Bronze Age (2500-2350BC) to the Middle Bronze Age II (1850-1800 BC).(Fig.2)
Of importance and historical interest, especially for the extremely high chronology of the complex (2500-1800 BC), are the comparisons with similar areas, but not triangular, described in several passages of the Bible, especially the evidence concerning the presence of the altar with the channel on the side for the collection and disposal of sacrificial liquids (Fig.3).
Moreover the unique triangular shape of the complex seems to be the enlarged replica of the smaller triangular construction positioned in the middle of the “hypotenuse” on the main building.
This smaller triangle could belong to the first emplacement of the temple, in the Early Bronze Age, as its foundations run deeper than the outer walls.
A large hole encircled by a double line of stones in the middle of the small triangle was probably the original location of the pithos jar found in fragments around the altar.
Fragments of a second pithos jar were on the southern side of the altar. Meanwhile a fragmentary four legged Red Polished bowl of rare shape was found on the channel nearby the door passage.
Room n°2 was divided by n°1 in the final phase of reorganization of the complex, with a dividing wall overlapping a filling of earth .
The room is rectangular, tapered toward southeast to follow the triangular shape of the complex. It is divided into two areas: the north is covered, the south unroofed. The North keeps intact the lying of the collapse of structures at the time of the earthquake. The collapse, which was not removed, it gives us important information on the original.
Such as the fact that the west side of the wall, had been reinforced, precisely at the point where there was a small rectangular window. The collapse of the west wall, with the stones still in connection, clearly shows its existence.(fig.4)
This remember a clay model of Arkanes of 2° mill. BC ( J.Boardman, RDAC, 1971 37-42), which has an opening on the roof from which curious overlook inside, and a second model of the Cypriot archaic with people who peep from side windows the Musicians playing (Karageorghis, 2006, 103 fig.90). The window of Pyrgos is the first evidence of a reality recorded only by the choroplastic, even if we do not have any connection for a specific cult function.
The material found inside the room n°2 is very different from that of the room n°1. No reconstructible vases were found in connection to the walls collapsed, and some bowls of the Middle Bronze Age and a jug were placed near the passage between roofed and
open-air zones. The bones of oxen and goats, especially the parts of the head, in addition to many shells of various shapes in order to be able to be used as a pendant or a cloth decoration, were found mainly in the open-air area.
A bronze needle with a round opening (needle for leader), a pair of bronze Philia type earrings characteristic of Early Bronze Age, found in the deepest levels, suggest that the building, in terms of its first episode of construction, is one of the most ancient constructions of the settlement. Moreover we can not exclude that the small temple complex was built on previous much older domestic structures.
It should be noted that the excavation of 2008 has confirmed one of the most interesting aspect of Pyrgos/Mavroraki architecture, the axial guidance of the “palace” implant.
An approach which is maintained even for the triangular building brought to light in 2008.
In fact, with little deviation from the geographical coordinate North, South and East-West, the “palace” of Pyrgos / Mavroraki shows an intentional orientation of main and secondary walls, which divide large and small rooms of the complex within the limits of a prehistoric architecture .
Although the structure of the walls is characteristic of the dwellings of the Early and Middle Bronze Age Cyprus, there is a meticulous care in maintaining the architectural complex in a species of pattern or architectural model, this provides very specific rules for both the erection of walls in interior rooms and spaces, from the standpoint of structural finishes.
Starting from the beginning of the industrial setting, it seems that the area was at first divided into sectors of almost equal dimension. This means that each room had roughly the same size, calculated approximately 13-15metres x 13- 15 metres . The three major areas that are distinguished by different industrial destination were very similar in size, but not for intended use: the olive press, the textile room on West, the courtyard for metallurgy on South. In fact, the internal divisions of these area belong to next episodes of space reuse. This can not be by chance, since the construction of the walls asks very specific rules which follow specific phases.
These included the levelling of the building from the definition of the perimeter, the imposition of the foundations, the construction of a grid of wood in which you have the raw files of the bricks, the construction of the roof, the excavation of the internal floor level at least 30 centimetres below the foundations, the plastering of all horizontal and vertical surfaces and construction of interior furnishings fixed with mud and plaster.
The position of the temple complex compared to the industrial choice seems appropriate, if we compare with that of buildings of worship of the end of 2° millennium BC in Cyprus, as it faces the area where the metallurgical activities took place.
This peculiarity confirms the intended use of the building and anticipates of several centuries the Cypriot religious tradition that linked places of worship to the production of copper, and invoked the divine protection on metals production.
This is amply documented by the famous Cypriot cult places of the end of the second millennium BC like Myrtou Pigadhes, Kytion, Athienou and Enkomi
The discovery open a new scenario on the prehistoric religion of Cyprus that until today was considered focused to the extramural cemeteries areas, in large contrast with the coroplastic representations of Early-Middle Bronze age (Vounous and Kochati models), which suggested a realty not far from the Pyrgos one. The distinctive triangular architecture, the presence of specialized installations including horns of consecration, altar, blood channel, cult room with restricted access, remains of sacrifices, jar for storage the olive oil offerings, accumulation of worked shells and special type libation bowls suggest the existence in Cyprus of a well legitimate religion still in the Early — Middle Bronze age.